Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Series 60 Engine Problem, Major, I think
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Richard and Rhonda

Default Series 60 Engine Problem, Major, I think

Well sooner of later it's your turn, I suppose.

Took a short trip of 120 miles this weekend and noticed coolant all over the car and rear grate when we got to the campground.

Long story short is that the engine is pressurizing the coolant. If engine is running coolant is bubbling profusely. The other symptom was that the engine didn't want to crank, like the batteries were weak. That was water getting in the cylinder and causing hydro lock. That's my guess if compression can get to the coolant, then coolant can get to the cylinder.

This is not good. We are high in the West Virginia hills, miles from nowhere, and a tow truck is never going to take us out of this windy road on the hook.

I knew that coolant in the oil is a sure way to sieze the engine. I drained about a quart, and had less than a teaspoon of coolant. Hmmmmmmm, my thoughts (after fitful sleep most of the night) is that the breach is contained to the cooalant-compression system.

So, we crossed fingers, Rhonda followed in the toad, and the coach made it back home without incident.

The VMS shows perfectly normal temps, oil press, boost, everything.

I'll keep you tuned. I now have to find a local shop.

This is NOT a common problem for Series 60's, so I am very curious as to the problem.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote