Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Roof Mounted Satellite Internet Dish Speeds
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
fulltiming

Vantare, I was one of the original beta testers for the DataStorm DirectPC, later HughesNet, system. During the early 2000's unless you only needed to check emails occasionally, there was really no other option but HughesNet. I used that system for about 8 years for internet and still use the dish as my DirecTV dish when traveling. Since I have been away from HughesNet for a couple of years there could be changes BUT I was routinely getting about .9 Mbps down and about .150 Mbps up (about the same as I was getting on my 3G Verizon datacard). That is MUCH better than dial-up (typically .07 Mbps) but certainly not cable speed. I currently get between 6 and 15 Mbps down and about .8 -1 Mbps up on Time Warner Cable and just got 7-12 Mbps down and about 750 Kbps up on my 4G Verizon connection (tests using testmy.net which is more representative of real world than many of the testing sites). The BIG difference is data limits. Cable is unlimited data, Verizon you buy it in 2 GB/month increments (1GB increments if you exceed your monthly limit) with most people on a plan with 6GB/month or less. You can blow through 6GB pretty quickly with streaming video and large software downloads. HughesNet plan is based on a DAILY download amount with unlimited during the early morning hours. That amount is typically in the 350 MB/day range. If you exceed your limit, you get throttled back to about dial-up speed for 24 hours. Streaming video is NOT a good idea with that limit unless you want to do it only after midnight.

When I started with HughesNet, it was the very best option available to RVers. It is still the best and possibly only good option if you stay in isolated areas well away from interstate highways where 3G and 4G coverage don't exist. Otherwise 4G is the a better option, taking advantage of WiFi in those parks that offer decent WiFi service. Since it is not directly RV related, hopefully it will be OK to provide a link to a good site for information on mobile satellite internet Datastorm Users - The Premier Site For Mobile Satellite Internet and TV.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote