Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tech Talk Archives 12
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
Neweller

A
1488 12/19/2004 6:03:28 PM 12/19/2004 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com 12.5 Kohler Diesel Generator 1978 Newell Classic w/ 12.5 Kohler-Perkins. Mods made since my last post: All pieces made with 16ga. galvanized sheet metal. My research indicates that 120 sq. inches of opening is sufficient to cool the Perkins. I opened the radiator "grill" in the front by removing the lower portion of the aluminum "skin". I closed the upper area of the "grill" (down to the top edge of the bumper)by blocking it off on the back side with sheet metal. This panel is easily removable if I encounter extreme conditions that would require more cooling. I fabricated a panel to fit horizontally flat between the frame rails thus forcing the incoming air to be drawn in below the front bumper. This panel spans the area between the front of the body and the bumper. It is held in place with Velcro to allow quick removal for access to the generator "front panel." Since the opening is behind the bumper the modifications are not visible.

Next I removed the "case" from around the radiator. I built a metal "wall" between the radiator and the sides and top of the generator compartment. I fastened it to the flanges on each side of the radiator that held the "case" in place. I also braced it to the valve cover nut in the same place that the "case" was secured to as well. A hole was drilled in the proper area to allow the dipstick tube to protrude through to the front. The outside edge of this "wall" is surrounded with a 1" layer of foam to allow for movement and provide an air seal to the inside walls of the generator compartment. This mod will force the fan to pull cooler outside air in rather than pulling from behind the radiator. All of these panels had Sound Absorbant Foam glued to the side that faced the engine. My Newell had a sound/oil absorbant pan mounted below the generator engine. It was about 5" short (on each side) of reaching from one side of the generator compartment to the other. I fabricated a new wider pan then filled it with fiberglass insulation and topped it off with expanded metal to keep the fiberglass in place.
The next project was the air intake. I removed the oil bath air cleaner and put it in my personal museum (I dont throw anything away!!). I built a metal box 1.5" tall X 9" wide and as long as the valve cover. It contains baffles (like a muffler) and is mounted on top of the valve cover using the valve cover nuts. I used one of those flat pleated air filters (It fits a '90 Camaro V-6 if I remember correctly). I just cut a hole in the top of the box near the back end of it. It is designed so the top of the box can be removed thus releasing the filter. A lot of noise is emitted from the valve cover so this "filter housing" also helps minimize the noise coming off of the top. I fastened Sound Absorbant Foam to the bottom of the air cleaner as well.
I was hearing a "knock" as the engine was running that concerned me. A perkins mechanic said it may just need the injectors rebuilt. As I was removing the injectors I found that two of the hold-down nuts were not tight. Since I didn't know when they were last rebuilt I had them done any ways but I think those loose nuts may have been causing that noise.
Bottom line----The noise coming from the front of the generator is GREATLY reduced. It is still louder than I would like on each side near the wheel openings but I think I can seal between the gen compartment sides and my new "pan " and minimize that. I also could put some Sound Absorbant Foam in the area behind the generator as well but I may need to install a fan to assist in pulling air out of the gen compartment if I minimize the opening in that rear area. Noise level inside the Newell has not been affected. So far I have run the generator for 35 hours in varying outside temps not exceeding 65 degrees so I can't say for sure if it is sufficient for 100 degree days but so far it has not even come close to running warmer than normal.
I've really tried to "think through" these mods but I'm not an engineer so I'd welcome any criticism or "atta boy"s from this knowledgeable group.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote