Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Detroit Diesel Overheating on Mountain Grades
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
prairieschooner

As long as the radiator is clean then I would suggest pulling the Thermostats and checking them. I think that they are marked for the temperature and you can check them by.
I like to put it in a pan with hot water and while open use a piece of string and let it close on the string. Now put a pan on the stove with cool water and begin to heat the water with the Thermostats suspended in the water and a Thermometer in the water. When the Thermostat opens it will fall off of the string and you can look at the temperature of the water. They should open relatively at the marked temperature.

Some like to remove the Thermostats but that could allow the water to flow too fast through the radiator and not long enough to cool.

Also make sure that you have the correct Coolant at the correct Ratio.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote