Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Driving something different
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Wally Arntzen

Default Driving something different

I flew from Minneapolis to Apache Junction, AZ this week to drive a truck based coach back to Minnesota for a fiend. Tom McCloud picked me up at the airport and while on the plane I realized that I left the license plate and insurance papers in my car back in Minnesota. I planed to leave be 2:00PM on Thursday and make it home in three days and had to have my wife overnight what I needed and the McClouds were kind enough to have me stay the night at there wonderful home in Mesa.
Everything came in the morning and got out of Arizona about 9:30AM. On Friday due to the late start, two hour time change and a problem with the generator I only got a little over 600 miles of a 1730 mile trip and wanted to get back by Saterday.
Saterday I after four hours of sleep I was on the road at 4:45AM and drove the entire 1130 reamaining miles and got back in Minnesota at 12:10AM Sunday morning.
This coach was a semi tractor (freightliner) with a CAT engine, automatic tranny and ran like a bandit with his pants on fire.
I drove 75 most of the way and it ran great, very comfortable but noisey due the engine being right below you. This unit is called a Toter which are primarly use by horse and racing people for pulling large 5th wheel trailers.
I would not suggest to anybody to drive long distances like I due but when I feel good and the coach is running good I love to drive and I go until I need rest. When my wife was with me I would not have been able to as far as I did.
Driving this rig makes me enjoy my Newell even more and nothing is better that the great rigs that we all have.

Wally

PS. When I had a boat my CB handle was WOW (Wide open Wally)
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote