Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - weird starting behavior
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Bill & Sonja

Default weird starting behavior

Hello Newell gang, I've encountered another weird behavior.

Our Perkins / Kohler 12.5 generator is behaving strangely. Or maybe it has always acted strangely. History: Oil and filters changed regularly, new glow plugs a month ago, new starter 2 years ago, control box professionally reconditioned same time as starter. I believe it has about 3,500 hours running time.

Generally it starts like this: first crank does not start, it cuts out cranking itself after a short crank. (that is, with the switch held down it jut quits cranking) Second crank it starts right away or occasionally behaves the same as the first crank and starts on the third attempt. Each time I have held the glow plugs 15 seconds. It started the same way before the starter was replaced.

Now a couple days ago it cranked until I released the switch - and no start or fire. A number of times it cranked continuously till released and no firing. Let it sit a while and tried it and it started in its old characteristic way. Has run in its usual way for a few starts and then behaved strangely by continuously cranking again and not firing. Left sit a while and started in the usual way again.

Any thoughts on this one?
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote