Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - question on making generator more quiet
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
encantotom

hi all,

well, after hearing michaels generator when he was here visiting, i decided to go further down my qwest to figure out how to silence it some more. his actual diesel engine is about the same noise level as mine. i have put more muffler hangers on the exhaust pipe for the generator with no help.

so, i took the one hp motor off the blower fan and had it checked out at a motor shop. it is just fine. there is clearly more noise coming from the blower fan than michaels.

so i took the blower fan out. it is made by dayton which is owned by grainger and i happen to have an account with them.

i took it apart piece by piece. mine uses bronze sleeve bearings and they clearly were worn. i only have 1700 hours on the generator.

the blower unit minus the motor is a 2C975 and is not made any more. however, parts are available for it. so, new bronze sleeve bearings and a new shaft were gonna run me fifty bucks. however, i really wanted ball bearings to quiet it up. ball bearings that fit in the mounts were going to be more like eighty bucks.

so i opted to buy a whole new blower with ball bearings for 170. there is a steel bracket welded to the old one to mount it and a piece welded to support the motor i will have to put on the new one, but this way i am sure it will be quiet.

next i will trace down the entire exhaust system and see what is rattling there.

the new blower comes on monday so i should be in business next week if i can get it welded quickly. maybe it will be an excuse to go buy a mig welder.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote