Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Gps
Thread: Gps
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
fulltiming

Tom, the Garmin dezl 560LMT appears to be the ticket for an RV. I have the nuvi 3790 LMT which is similar except auto and pedestrian only. I LOVE my 3790. The display of speed limits is wonderful. The lane assist and junction view are terrific. On freeways that you haven't traveled, this is marvelous since it alerts you in advance which lane/lanes you should be in and then shows a 'photographic representation' of the exit. This alone is worth the price of admission in a car and even more important in an RV where changing lanes quickly is not a great idea.

Things you gain with the 560:
Ability to input height, length and width of your vehicle and have it avoid roads that are restricted.
Larger screen (5" vs 4.3")
Stores 15 routes with 1000 waypoints (versus only the ability to sort multiple destinations on 1 route on the 3790)
Truck Speed Limits are displayed where they are lower than Auto Speed Limits
Extra Loud Speaker
Grade Data - allows you to anticipate steep grades ahead
Exit Services (that would be nice)
HOS violation warning (hours of service) which is interesting and should be an indicator to stop and rest to us but it is not a violation without a commercial license and vehicle
ITFA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) logging which again is not as issue for RVers

What you loose (from the the 3790):
Alarm clock (never used it)
Voice Navigation
Enhanced pedestrian navigation (never used it)
Ultra thin design (3790 is .35" deep while the 560 is .6" deep)

I prefer the routing on the Google/Android Navigation system and find that the arrival times are more accurate with the Google/Android system than with the Garmin which is almost always optimist. However, the Google/Android system will route you down roads you don't want to be on in a large RV. The posted speed limit display is one of my favorite things. I have built in navigation systems in two of our three cars (both even MORE optimistic on arrival time than the Garmin) and when I travel I ALWAYS take the Garmin since it has better routing than the built in car systems (one GM, one Chrysler). The lane assist and the junction view are the other major benefits of the Garmin.

I have used Microsoft Trips and Streets and DeLorme Street Atlas. The larger screen is great in an RV but the loss of the speed limits, lane assist and junction view are big negatives to me.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote