Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Gps
Thread: Gps
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I have installed a Rand McNally RVND 7710, and there is a problem due to the light green background which makes it almost impossible to see on a bright day. I recently mounted it above my head near the tire monitor and made a four inch hood to help block the light and positions the GPS closer to my eyes rather than other locations on the dash. With this mounting location, I had to use an external antenna to reach the windshield. If anyone is interested, I will post a photo. I will soon find out if this makes the 7710 of any use on a bright day. However, I considered replacing it with a Garmin dezl 560LMT, but discovered that the Garmin does not have a port to plug in an external antenna. If that is correct, then it must be mounted very close to the windshield and perhaps will be too far for good visibility. It may work great in a truck with the glass close to the wheel, but I am doubtful how useful it will be in a Newell. Based on my research, two of the three GPSs designed for a motorhome have the problem caused by a light green map background. Garmin is the exception, but does not have an external antenna. Hope this helps someone.
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote