Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Hello from Chicago!
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
tuga

NeverEnding,

I would go to factory if I were you. Take the tour AND also do like Richard said and talk to the other Newell owners who are in for service. You can learn a great deal by visiting with owners; they will give you great info from first hand experience.

If you are looking in the 2005-2008 range I would try to find one with an Allison transmission (6 speed) simply because they are bullet proof and there are service centers everywhere! I personally like the series 60 engine compared to the CAT because the DD gets 35% better fuel economy. At $4/gallon for diesel 35% adds up.

Next I would look for a 2 slide instead of 4 slides; the front slide when retracted (driving down the road) still gives you a good deal of room to walk around the coach. Four slides are nice but are somewhat cramped inside while on the road.

Lastly, carefully weigh buying from Newell (2 year warranty) and buying from an individual or a broker (no warranty). I have done both and there really isn't much difference. You can probably get a lower price from an individual but you give up getting the warranty. My first and second Newell were purchased from the factory with a warrany. My current coach was purchased from a broker. I had $5500 in repairs that would have been covered by Newell's warranty. That was in a 2 year period. It's a personal call: if I were to buy another Newell it really wouldn't matter to me who would buy from.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote