Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Another Classic Newell Coach Getting Repowered!
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #63
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjohnson View Post
Jon, Stewart Stevenson, Detroit Diesel service center in El Paso,TX told me they could install a re-manufactured 8v92 with warranty for +/-20K. I also remember seeing a post somewhere about plant in North or South Carolina that is still producing brand new 8v92's for export marine use. I think if I were needing an engine I would definitely try to get a new one if it all hooks up the same.
One thing nice about not being in a hurry is that I can study multiple options. I have not torn the motor down yet, but if I have a rebuild-able core I could get by for around $3k. The fact that it died from overheating, the odds are not very good of this being an option, so my first choice is probably a no go.

My second option would be an 2 cylinder OPOC motor putting out 325 hp and weighing under 300 lbs. (Engine Design | EcoMotors) These won't be available until next year at the very earliest but probably well worth the wait. With it's flat design I would be able to take the hump out of the bedroom and open up the design possibilities. With this combination I would be surprised if I wasn't close to 20 mpg when it was all done.

If I was inclined to do something sooner, I would definitely be looking at an inline six that would substantially improve my fuel economy over the 8V92. I'm confident that the combination that Keith and Ken put in their coaches would be a sweet solution for mine too. Maybe a little underpowered compared to what came with the coach, but much better power to weight ratio than my '73 had with the Cat 1160 and I never had a problem towing with it. This should put me somewhere in the 12 mpg range.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote