Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Battery Cable Gauge
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
JohnC

Rule of thumb #1 - The more copper the less the resistance

One of those rare instances where it's pretty hard to use too much

Rule of thumb #2- Keep all connections clean, especially the chassis ground. I can't begin to guess how many perfectly good starters and alternators have been replaced/rebuilt because of poor connections, especially chassis grounds. Removing the suspected unit often cleans the 'bad' connection, and then when the new unit corrects the problem, the incorrect diagnosis is assumed as right-on.

One quick method to check for bad grounds or loose connections is with a non-contact thermometer. While the better-half is cranking the engine, quickly check for heated connections. Resistance creates heat and loose connections will normally be much hotter then the rest. Same for cables- if your cables are getting fairly warm I would increase the size. You can also use the non-contact thermometer to check your shore power connections for heat, wheel bearing temps, restrictions in your radiator (cold spots), brakes dragging, tire temps etc. I keep one just inside my door and routinely check my tire temps everytime I stop at a rest area.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote