Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Charger Boils 6 x 8D Batteries
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
prestadude

Default New Information

Thanks for all the suggestions. To Richard and Rhonda, the Link 2000 control panel I have does not control equalization with dip switches, it is selectable with button pushes. To Busnut, I have not checked the batteries yet with hydrometer. Based on group comment to this email, that will be my next step. To better understand how the charging system is behaving, I let the batteries set for a few weeks and then started the charging cycle again keeping a record (see table).

Bank 1 is the house batteries, Bank 2 is the chassis batteries. The charger cycles through three modes during the charging process, Charge, Accept and Float. I set the charger to a 5 amp maximum charging rate initially. You can see that the charger remained in the Charge mode for several days. I upped the max amp setting to 20 and the system almost immediately rolled over to the Accept mode. First lesson learned, limiting the amperage can inhibit the normal charging process. The system finally moved to the Float mode with an amperage of 10. Subsequent measurements in Float have also been around 10 amps. I wonder if that is too high. The manual lists the amperage in the Float mode as 2% of the maximum battery capacity which makes no sense to me since the battery capacity in measured in amp hours, not amps. For those that have the same system (Heart Interface Freedom 25 charger/inverter) does this appear to be normal operation or is the float amperage too much leading to excess loss of battery water?
prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote