Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Diesel TuneUP?
Thread: Diesel TuneUP?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
fulltiming

Depending on where and how it was stored, the answer could be a little or a lot. Coaches love to run not to sit for years.

In particular, I would look at the following:
1) age of tires, they will deteriorate at a faster rate if that aren't moved since the chemicals in the tires to resist ozone get depleted around the outside of the tire and the lack of movement prevents the chemicals from getting redistributed.
2) check the SCA's in the coolant, they will deteriorate with time and can increase the potential for rust in the block and cooling system.
3) check the oil, see if there is rust or water in the oil,
4) check the fuel, it likely has a lot of water and algal growth in it if the tank was only partially full during storage. The fuel will also deteriorate over a period of years. If you are buying it, I would have a service pump the fuel out of the tank and refuel it.
5) smell the transmission fluid to see if it smells burned.
6) change all the filters, and fluids (oil, transmission, coolant, fuel)
7) check the rubber seals around the door, windshield, etc if it has been stored outside.
8) after #6, have it dynoed to see that it is dumping out a reasonable amount of power under load.

Check to see if service records are available for the coach to see if it was maintained properly before the storage.

I would not even start it without draining the gunk off the bottom of the fuel tanks (there are likely drain petcock(s) on each tank), draining the water separator, and preferably draining the fuel and refueling.

I am certain that Richard or Tom or others will have additional comments but the list above could be $2,000+ for just doing #6 to a complete engine overhaul/rebuilt and radiator rodding if rust has set in which would be $10-20,000.

When I was in El Paso having some engine work done, the 8V92 mechanic said they had a motorhome in about a year earlier that had been left sitting for years outside and the engine wouldn't start, they pulled the heads and found significant rust in the cylinders in addition to bad fuel that had significant asphaltene conglomeration, polymerization, microbial growth and bio-film.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote