Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Merge Switch
Thread: Merge Switch
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
fulltiming

Jennifer, sounds like you are getting your Newell in great shape.

First, I would recommend replacing the merge solenoid in the rear 12 volt panel (likely behind a door on the rear of the coach). Newell recommends replacing these every couple of years. Make sure you use a solenoid with a constant rating rather than a starter type solenoid that is only meant for being activated for a minute at a time.

The merge system should operate as follows:
Engine off, merge switch off: chassis batteries and house (coach) batteries are isolated. If the coach is plugged into shorepower or the generator is running, the battery charger (likely an old battery boiler/single stage charger unless it has been replaced) will keep the house batteries charged but the chassis batteries will start to discharge slowly.
Engine on, merge switch off: chassis batteries and house batteries are both charged by the alternator and if the generator is running by the generator's alternator.
Engine off, merge switch on (either position): chassis batteries and house batteries are both charged by the shore power or generator. If the generator is off and no shore power is available, both the chassis batteries and the house batteries will run down together (bad!!).
Merge Switch Up/Down Positions: on most non-Newell coaches, the merge switch is powered by the house batteries. This assumes that your chassis batteries don't have enough charge left to start the coach and that you have enough charge on the house batteries to activate the solenoid to tie the two battery banks together to get the coach started. The two position switch Newell uses does this in one position (up position I believe but I haven't verified that lately and someone may have reversed the wires on a particular coach). However, Newell provides the second position in case your house batteries are really drained down so you can power the merge solenoid off the start batteries to tie the two battery banks together so you can start the generator which is powered off the house batteries.

Now, assuming that the merge system is functioning properly and that you have added the BatteryMinder to the chassis batteries and your coach is plugged in, both banks of batteries will be charging so you would keep the merge switch in the Off position. I use a Trik-L-Start unit to keep the chassis batteries charged while on shore power rather than the BatteryMinder. When driving the merge switch would again be in the Off position.

With the BatteryMinder on the chassis batteries and the coach plugged in, both sets of batteries will stay charged, although the house batteries will be overcharged with the original battery charger. You would only need to activate the merge switch if for some reason the start batteries didn't have adequate charge to start the coach or the house batteries didn't have adequate charge to start the generator. These situations are unlikely UNLESS you leave the coach unplugged from shore power for several days or weeks depending on what you shut down inside the coach.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you replace the battery charger if it is an original single stage charger. Either an Iota or Progressive Dynamic or Xantrex 3 or 4 stage charger will make your batteries last longer. A good multi-stage battery charger will be less expensive over the next 6 years than damaging your house batteries with the single stage charger.

Hope I haven't beat this horse to death.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote