Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Interior flooring ideas?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
Neweller

Wally, there are some different advantages to both types of wood flooring. Some laminate’s can be found with a particle board backing, I'd avoid this type if I could. I

would try to go with laminate that has a ply backing due to it being pretty moisture resistant. The wear layer can be kind of thin on some, mainly the particleboard

backed type, unless its a commercial grade. Generally speaking when they use the term engineered wood it refers to a wood ply substrata under a veneered top

surface, these tend to be pricier but hold up fairly well. The best choice for quality is solid wood. Wide boards can be more prone to warping and cupping but if you flip

the board and see reliefs milled into the back it helps to stabilize the wood. I prefer a narrow hardwood over the wider board for motorcoach floors, but the installation

is more time consuming.. Ship-lap is a joint where if the wood does cup can tend to lift a board and it can be a problem, tongue and groove is more stable and any

cupping or movement is forced over a wider area of flooring and tends to lift and then set back down flat. It’s really kind of a personal preference but I would try to

avoid the particle backed laminate if at all possible. Even though manufacturers claim their products are moisture resistant, my experience is that they are not. Some

people claim to have great success with them, but in high humidity areas, my experience is they are really not intended for RV applications. Just try to go with top

notch products in your Newell and really do your homework. I know most of us really try too.

Michael, it sounds like you went with a better product for your application. I have heard yours looks really good. I too would really consider cork flooring, it is very

durable, great against noise, wears well and extremely lightweight which is always a plus.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote