Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tech Talk Archives 10
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
Neweller

A
1238 2/26/2004 1:16:41 PM 2/26/2004 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net 77 Coach Heater Boost Pump I thought I would update whoever is interested in my installation of a boost pump in the engine coolant circuit that feeds the heaters.

My system is 1/2" copper pipe. I bought a 1" Bergstrom pump and installed in the hose just downstream from the engine water pump outlet. I connected it electrically to a solenoid that was left vacant in the right rear electrical panel when the Bendix cruise control was removed. That way I didn't need to run a heavier wire all the way from the front not did I put significant load on the ignition switch that already has too much load on it.

Now as soon as the engine shows the slightest heat I can have heat up front even at low engine speeds. I didn't have this before installing the pump even though I thoroughly flushed all the lines. I still may have a restriction but I doubt it. At high engine speeds I can turn the pump off and it makes no noticeable difference in the front heater output. I suspect the oversize pump doesn't make a restriction when turned off. I would like to take credit for being so smart but it was just dummb luck.

On a recent winter trip I was still chilly while on the road in temperatures below 20 degrees. Not bad but not comfortable either. Then I discovered that my main entry door was slightly bowed outwards in the middle. I added a little foam weatherstrip and what a difference. We cruised home in 20 degree weather with only the defroster on by mistake and were almost entirely comfortable.

Lessons learned: the pump will help heat get to you earlier and eliminating air leaks will definitely help keep the heat in. I can send a picture of the pump setup if anyone is interested.

All the best to Newell for a great coach even when it is old enough to have voted in the last election.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote