Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - slide air bag seals?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
davidmbrady

Tom,

Don't get me wrong, I have a great fondness for the air seal used by Newell. The Seal Masters S-1 seal is a very good piece, probably second to none in the industry. It's just that the coach and slide manufacturers need to work within the seal's stroke limitations. It's very difficult for manufacturers like Newell to ensure that their slide bodies are within 1/4" of the seal for the entire circumference of the slide. Having space for the slide to extend and retract is a good thing. If there should ever be a mishap where the slide becomes skewed or binds on its bearings then we'll all be very thankful for the extra clearance.

The only thing I see about the Seal Masters seal that I would change is the fabric reinforcement. EPDM has a shelf life of around 10 years whether it's fabric reinforced or not. Fabric reinforcement is great technology for high psi applications. IMPO, at the pressures we work with in our slide applications, approximately 8 to 10 psi, fabric reinforcement isn't necessary.

The reason I'd eliminate the fabric is because of the buckling. I've found, in the course of the air seal development for the Wanderlodge, that that EPDM can accomplish quite a bit of stroke in a corner at the radii we work with, but it's the fabric that can't. The fabric reinforcement leads to what I would consider premature buckling in the corners.

David Brady
'02 Wanderlodge, LXi
NC
davidmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote