Thread: Why Converters
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
express1

Default diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Clarke,
There may be nothing wrong with "re-manufactured" but it is what it is. Have you checked the voltage and amperage to insure that you are getting what you should?
OK so let's start with the basics...Flooded Lead Acid and AGM (not Gel) should have 14.4 Volts for Bulk and Acceptance and 13.3 Volts for Float Phases.

I don't know what size the original Converter/Charger was but I suspect it was much less than 80 Amp. Now it really depends on what size wire you use from the Charger to the Batteries. If your Batteries are in the front like mine and your Battery Charger is in the rear then there would be approximately 80' of cable (to and from). I would chose at least 4 AWG to limit the Voltage Drop to less than 3% (14.4 Volts - 3% (.432 Volts) = 13.96 Volts at the Batteries. This is not enough to properly charge the batteries. If the wire is say 6 AWG then it would be more like a 10% Voltage Drop and then it would be 14.4 Volts - 10% (1.44 Volts) = 12.96 Volts at the Batteries.

OK now if I haven't lost you yet ....the Voltage Drop will effect the Charge of the Batteries. If you do not have a good connection it will as well effect the Voltage Drop even more. That is why I do not like that type of Terminal, just like I do not like Wire Nuts, on our Coaches because of the Vibrations that the Wire will be exposed to. If the Set Screw Connection makes contact with the wire, it could also damage the wire.
Steve, could you do this again? but with diagrams
Just keepin it lite........
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote