Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Multi Symptom Generator problem
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #39
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussWhite View Post
Hi Tuga,

I have been following this thread with interest. I am still a little too banged up to do much outside. Could you please explain in some more details how the air flow works on our vintage generators? I only have a very basic understanding that the air is pulled in through a grill work on the curb side front bay and into a squirrel cage blower. From there I am just not sure how it gets to the radiator on the generator or where exactly the gasket is you are talking about. A picture might be nice with a written explanation. As soon as I can and understand what you want me to check I will add my input to your poll. Thanks, Russ
Russ,

It is a very simple concept: the blower sucks air in to the squirrell cage and pushes it into the generator compartment. The cool air pushes the hot air out of the compartment via a duct directly under the generator. If air escapes out thru the front of the generator compartment door the generator will run hot because all of the hot air is not being exhausted out of the bottom.

The gasket is visible when you open the generator door (slide out). It is glued to the outer perimeter of the opening and the generator door mashes up against it when the generator door is closed.

While your generator is running, pass your hand around the edge of the fiberglass door (has Newell written on it) and determine if you feel any air escaping. When I walk past mine it will blow my hair (the little I have left). That's how badly my gasket needs changing!

Sorry I don't have any pictures.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote