Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - "Stupid" Generator Question
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #24
fulltiming

The best ways to minimize the risk of fungus are:
1) Always buy fuel from a supplier that sells a LOT of fuel so it will be fresh,
2) Don't fill up when they are refilling their storage tanks because the sediment and water in the bottom of their tank will get mixed in with the fresh fuel,
3) Fill the fuel tanks before storing it to minimize the amount of moisture that can condense inside the tank,
4) Drain some fuel from the petcocks on the bottom of the tanks (assuming you have those) regularly and if you get much water out of them or any slimy looking 'stuff', consider having your fuel polished.

Polishing fuel is expensive but much easier than plugging up dozens of fuel filters. In most harbor/port areas you will find mobile fuel polishing services that will pump the fuel out of your tanks, run it through magnets to remove any metal shavings, run it through several filters, including extremely fine filters and dump the fuel back into the tank. I have had it done once at a cost of $400 in Newport Beach, CA. If I had know then what I know now, I would have purchased the equipment and done it myself (about the same price) and had the equipment to use in the future. It takes several hours to polish 300 gallons of fuel.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote