Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Entrance door problem
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #24
GORDON HUMMEL

Ever since I started this project, I had the concern that the enviorment I was in was not the best suited for the products I was using. These are the best for this application, but with humidity etc, their performance by not meet expeditations.
As discussed previously, my problem is that the exterior skin seperated at the hing & moved rearward hitting the jam & then total failure as the door was used when sticking. I really wanted a mechanical coupling that would not allow this.
The attached picture is my solution, so far, to that problem. A 1/4" machine screw is used in place of a wood screw at the hinge. A coupling nut, all thread, fender washers & a nut complete the assembly. I've only installed one so far to validate my thoughts.
One turn on the nut & the 1/8" gap on the hinge side was gone. I closed the door & I think it was the first time in 18 months that the SS bracket that the latch mounts to, did not rub the jam. Only time will tell, but I think this might be the answer.
I will install 2 more above the lock as most of the problem has been from the latch up.
Attached Images

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote