Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Entrance door problem
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #25
GORDON HUMMEL

Default Door finished- NEVER REMOVED

The removal of the door, always had me concerned. With the other 3 sides repaired, only the hinge side needed to be reattached. The 3 allthread parts I added moved the skin back to the hinge, but it needed to be sealed to the frame. you can see in the first picture, I attached an angle bracket, 4 of them to the inside of the outer skin with some HD tape. I then used silicone to fill the gap between the skin & the frame. Partially cured, I pulled the angle brackets in, & secured wwith a wood screw. After it dried, I used adhesive on the joint as a backup. All was fixed & no door removal.
With the inner interior panel attached, all that was left, was to install the interior wallpapered alum panel. A trip to Lowe's provided the plastic trim pieces. The first one's I got would accept .25 material, as the original was, but the long piece that you rivet through to attach it was to short. Back to lowe's & the have a different one that has a long enough long piece, but it only designed to accepts .90 material. My wallpapered panel is .122, but it will fit.
If you recall, Tom had indicated based on info from Newell, to use a dowel to pooch out the middle of this panel & slide it out the bottom after you remove the door.
I riveted the new plastic trim on all sides but the bottom. I then slid the panel in the hinge side plastic, 1/2" lower then it should be. Then with the help of a broom stick in the middle of the door, I was able to insert the latch side in the plastic trim in the area above the latch. I repeated the process below the latch. With a wooden block & hammer, I tapped the panel upward into the top plastic trim. No glue was used as the handles etc hold this panel firmly.
One last & important note.
If you want to remove the wallpapered panel with out removing the door, try this.
Break out the top plastic piece; $2.28 for 8'. Once removed, you can use the Newell process & install a dowel down the middle, & pour in the wallpaper remover. Once the adhesive releases, you should be able to slide this panel up & out. (do not have awning out)

Well thats it. Now I will have to wait till next summer to see if all works.
Attached Images

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote