Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Entrance door problem
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
GORDON HUMMEL

I have finally had the time to work on my door. I called Newell on thurs to get further info, but with the holiday etc I have not heard back
I am a fulltimer so I really did not want to remove the door. I removed the interior cover around the latches to study the construction.
The door perimeter frame structure is made up of 3 Z sections, top, bottom & latch side. The hinge side is a C channel with a wood insert. The exterior panel is attached to the perimeter frame with 3M HVB tape. Additional interior alum support pieces are added along with some wood blocks to support the locks. Some steel pieces are also added for additional support in the handle areas. This assy in now foamed and becomes quite strong.
I did notice tape was applied to the inside of the perimeter frame so that the foam would not stick to the frame & allow it to move.
The interior panel(s) still have me scratching my bald head. The first panel is riveted to the perimeter frame & the alum support pieces in the interior of the door. The next panel with the wallpaper on it is seamingly retained by the plastic edge pieces on the top & sides riveted to the first panel and by 3-4 rivets on the bottom that go thru the both the alum panels & a plastic trim piece. Additional retention is provided by the pull handles and other visible items.
To remove this panel the door would need to be removed in order to slide it out the bottom. All interior protruding hardware' interior door handle needs to be removed. Once the rivets at the bottom are removed the panel can be slid out the bottom. The stainless steel latch bracket is cut such that panel will slide through. Pretty slick! This then gives you access to remove all the rivets on the interior panel, and to work on the door. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THESE 2 INTERIOR PANELS ARE GLUD TOGETHER.

After studying this for quite a while I gave up & broke the plastic trim pieces & removed the wallpapered panel, giving me access to remove the other panel.
Basically my exterior skin is being held on by the foam & the 4 exterior alum trim extrusions that screw into the interior alum framework. The perimeter tape is +/- 20% intact. The foam at the perimeter will not allow me to attach the perimeter to the exterior panel without quite a bit of force which will not contribute to a good bond. My solution is to remove 2-3" of foam at the perimeter which allows the 2 pieces to be joined easily. I'm using 3M 4955 tape & also running a bead of Sikaflex 252 on the interior just to be sure.
I'm doing this is small section & after I put the Sikaflex on, I put the interior panel on temperarly to make sure all the rivet holes line up.
Long process but I have not taken the door off YET.
I will have to take the door off to do the hinge side

More to folllow
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote