Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - air compressor questions
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
fulltiming

Your Newell uses two independent sets of leveling valves. The 'travel' set controls the ride height as you are in motion. That system keeps the coach parallel to the road regardless of the slope of the road and is controlled by rods between the body and the axles. The 'level' set of valves uses a level sensor typically suspended from the top of one of the bays to keep the coach level even though the surface of the ground is sloped.

If the coach returns to 'normal' ride height, the travel portion of the system is working properly. I had all the solenoids replaced on my coach as a maintenance item (one of them was beginning to stick).

On my coach there are three control rods that operate and adjust the travel system. One rod is located on each side of the coach by the drive wheel. The front control rod is in the center of the front axle. The ride height control valves are at the upper end of the control rods, just follow the rods up and over.

Make sure that your coach is well supported before messing with the air leveling system. 45,000 pounds dropping on you can ruin your entire afternoon. Working from a pit is optimal.

There is enough air pressure in the system to air up the tires but it can be tedious without a air pressure multiplier (available from Newell Parts). When the engine driven air pump kicks in it will run until the system pressure reaches about 125-130 psi. That is sufficient to air up the tires. Unfortunately, as the tires begin to air up the pressure will start to drop and the air pump will not kick in until the pressure is the 100-110 psi range. The air pressure multiplier will boost the pressure to the point that you are still getting over 130 psi when the tank pressure drops to the point that the air pump kicks in again.

The 120 volt air compressor does air up the entire system BUT will typically keep the system at a lower pressure. My 120 volt compressor kicks in at about 73 psi and shuts off at about 95 psi.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote