Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Air leaks in my 1987.
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 AM   #26
fulltiming

To expand on Tom's comments, the new technology battery chargers are multi-stage (typically 3 stage) versus the single stage chargers that were installed 15-25 years ago. The multi-stage chargers start at a high voltage (bulk charge) to put a large current flow into the battery. As the voltage of the battery bank increases, the charger reduces the voltage thus reducing the current that will flow into the battery (absorption charge) to avoid boiling the fluids out the the batteries, then when the battery is fully charged, they go into float mode so that the batteries are maintained at the proper level. In this mode, they will keep the batteries fully charged without the danger of overcharging.

Xantrex makes a standalone charger called the TrueCharge that could replace your current charger IF you do not wish to install a combination inverter/charger. I replaced by Heart inverter with a 2kw ProSine inverter/charger. I wired it in replacing the existing inverter and just unplugged the existing battery boiler. At the suggestion of Newell, I left the existing battery boiler in place. Reason?? The only downside to the new multi-stage battery chargers, either standalone or as a part of an inverter/charger, is that if your batteries get accidentially drained down to a very low voltage, the multi-stage chargers will not see a high enough voltage to turn on while the old single stage chargers will take a battery from just a few volts and may be able to bring them back to life. I picked the ProSine because it is a pure sine wave versus a modified sine wave inverter. This is much easier on electronic equipment. It produces power with low harmonic distortion, runs inductive motors cooler and quieter, and reduces electrical noise that can interfere with the operation of laser printers and other devices.

Newell currently uses Outback pure sine wave inverter/chargers.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote