Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Handling Characteristics
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Richard and Rhonda

Default Handling Characteristics

I admit that I am the anal engineer type when it comes to the driving and handling characteristics of a vehicle. I am curious to learn of your seat time impressions of your Newell compared to other Class A's that you have driven. I thought starting this topic might be an interesting way of gathering the collective knowledge.

I'll kick it off.

I have driven three Newells. Mine, a 95 42.5 ft, a 97 45 ft with IFS, and about a 92 45ft?.

The 97 45ft was the clear winner in the handling department even though it needed new tires badly. It was rock steady on the freeway, and required very little steering input to keep it straight. The ride was smooth and steady. I would rate 9 on a scale of 10. It had the S60 and was plenty of power. I kick myself for not buying it, but it needed a lot of work, and I knew nothing about the Newell guts at the time.

Mine is as smooth as the 97 and requires slightly more steering input. The only real issue I have is fighting mine in a crosswind. Trucks do not blow me around, and rough two lane roads aren't an issue either.

The third Newell now belongs to Gordon Hummel, so he can straighten me out on exact year and length. The ride quality was about the same as mine. The steering had some play in it that I felt was a loose steering gear box, but other than the play the handling was just about the same as my coach. The 8V92 didn't quite have the low end grunt that the S60 does but once above 35 mph, I don't know that I could tell much difference in acceleration.

Now, other comparative coaches I have had seat time in.

2002 Newmar Mountain Air on IFS Freightliner ISL 370 HP, my previous ride.
I worked on the steering a long time to get the coach to stay in the road. After three different alignment shops worked on it, it turned out to be as simple as toeing the front end in a little more. The wind and trucks blew this coach all over the road, even though I got it to track straight with very little steering input, you had to anticipate a truck passing you or you would veer from your lane. The ride was harsh, even though I fitted KONI FSD shocks all the way round. The coach moved around a lot in the back and midships. It was much much louder than the Newells. Something was always rattling. The 370 ISL Cummins was plenty of engine. I never felt it needed more even in the Colorado mountains.

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire 45 tag
This had the Comfort Drive Steering on a Spartan Chassis. This was very different than the MADP I owned. The comfort drive is kind of gimmicky, but it did drive very nice. I think that it allows them to use a much smaller steering wheel which reduces your perception of "correction" The ride comfort was on par with the Country Coach tag axle.

2003 Country Coach Magna with tag, 525 Cat 42 ft
I would rate this coach below any of the Newells in both steering input and ride quality. Not bad, but noticeably a little more movement in the steering and also in the movement of the coach. I did not notice that the 525 Cat really made the coach accelerate more quickly. It did not seem as powerful as any of the DD coaches.

2002 Country Coach ?? Single Axle 40 ft
This is what started my quest for a better driving coach. Although the CC had the EXACT same front and rear suspension as the Newmar MADP, it drove and rode completely different. Why? The CC frame mounted larger diameter air bags more outboard than the Freightliner chassis. It made the ride calmer and softer at the same time. I drove this coach three times trying to figure out why it drove better than my MADP. It required modest steering input, more than the tag CC above, more input than a Newell or Prevost, but less input than the MADP. It had a ISL 370 and seemed adequately powered.

2004 Foretravel Tag Axle 40 ft
Definitely the sports car of anything I have driven. The ride was a little tighter meaning harsher than Newell, Prevost, or CC. The steering input required to stay in the road was on par with the Newells and Prevosts I have driven, but the feedback through the steering wheel was definitely the most car like of the whole bunch. The brakes were head and shoulders above anything I have driven for both stopping distance and modulation feel.

2006 Revolution LE 40 ft
Same handling and ride quality as the Freightliner chassis. Not impressed.

1995 Prevost Country Coach conversion 45 ft
Probably the best coach driven with regard to little input required to keep in straight in the road. There was no steering feel, the steering wheel is simply used to point the coach. This coach had the smoothest ride of any coach I have been in. However, for some reason the coach was scarily underpowered. The coach was owned by a well known Dallas developer, and maintained by Prevost, so I don't think there was a problem, but it had no acceleration. Once at freeway speed it was OK, but worrisome on an on ramp.

1996 Prevost Liberty 40 ft
About the same steering as the 45 ft Prevost, but slightly more movement in the coach because of the shorter wheel base. Much better power for some reason.

1995 Prevost Marathon 40 ft
Nice smooth ride, but the steering input was busier than the Newells, and other Prevosts I have driven. Power was the strongest of the three Prevosts and equal to the Newells. Super Quiet on the inside. Quieter than the other Prevosts and Newells.

In summary, here are my seat of the pants conclusions.

Prevosts have the most comfortable ride in both the coach and drivers seat. The steering is numb and totally detached. The steering input is the same as with a Newell.

The Foretravel had a tighter ride than either Prevost or Newell, but also had the most car like feedback for the driver.

The Country Coaches had a good ride, and decent road stability but below the three above.

I would put the Newmar Mountain Aire on the Spartan Chassis with the comfort drive next.

Then Revolution LE on the RR8 (I think) chassis next.

Finally the Fl Chassis under my original Mountain Aire.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote