Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Handling Characteristics
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
smagown

Greetings from N/LA (home of the roughest patch of I-20 and many secondary roads with no shoulders but plenty of trees to stop you):

I've had four GMC's over the years. The first had bias ply tires and handled like a dream. The next three had radials. White knuckle= anticipating the next semi coming in the mirror and at the proper time steering out when he is even with you and creating a vacuum and then steering in as he goes by and the push starts. The whole process only takes a few seconds but it meant I had to drive every mile of every trip because it was terrifying. The GMC has narrower track in the front than rear so many of them had "wiggle-waggle" and you constantly see-sawed the wheel. My last did none of this despite the same alignment etc. I never figured it out.

I've driven a 91 Prevost 45' and the steering input and feel were fine. I had never experienced an air-ride seat, so when the coach dropped down in front and the seat went up I thought I was losing control. The ride was so quite that my son fell asleep on the test drive as the scenery just slipped by like on a train but without the clacking.

I owned a 2000 Holiday Rambler 38.5' on a Freightliner chassis with a 330 hp Cat and 6 sp Allison. The handling was fine with vague steering input, on center was tight, but it had a lot of roll and the center of gravity was fairly high, like a box on wheels. Double pane windows and day-nite shades made for a quiet ride. Crosswinds and semi's were no problem at all.

My 97 Newell 45' is very quiet except for some wind noise at the driver's window I need to address. I love the steering input and feel like I'm down in the coach and part of it is due to the lower center of gravity. I haven't had any trouble with crosswinds or semi's, as a matter of fact, I think I may wiggle them when I go by! I've had to adjust to the turning radius and have almost gotten trapped a few times in tight spots like parking lots. I'd love to have an 04 with the tighter turning circle. I drive my rig in town like a station wagon with no trouble at all.

Well that's my summary and covers me from 1981 until now!
Thanks
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote