Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Air system schematic
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
fulltiming

I agree that discussing problems on the board rather than through PM's is of benefit to more people since they can see the solutions and later search for the information.

If the right rear is losing air, I would check 1) the dump/lower solenoid at the six pack for that axle to see if it is fully closing, 2) the air connections to the solenoids for that corner at the six pack, 3) the nipple going into the right rear air bag, and 4) the air bags on that corner for excessive cracking or crazing.

The solenoids do tend to start leaking by not fully seating with time. A year ago I replaced all 18 of my solenoids just due to age, well that and the fact that one of the dump valve was sticking closed so the right rear would not always drop.

This year I had to replace the left rear ride height valve due to the crack in the valve body. I was losing 20 psi in 12 minutes. The leak didn't show up by spraying soapy water on it. So much air was leaking out that it physically blew the water away from the valve instead of bubbling.

Your comment about the pressure staying up on the brake tanks is important. If anyone starts seeing the pressure of one or both of the brake supply tanks dropping with the main supply tank get it fixed ASAP. There is a check valve in each of the lines that come off the main supply tank. Losing brake air is a bad deal. I had leaks in both of my brake check valves. The longer the coach sits without being used the more likely the check valves will fail. If the coach has small air leaks, and they all do, and the system pressure goes to zero, outside damp air can get into the tanks over time and cause rust, especially in the check valves.

If anyone is interested, I can post photos of the crack in the travel valve and/or the defective brake check valves.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote