Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Ceiling Remodel and TV install
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

I forgot to post the major lessons learned while doing this. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

You absolutely need a pneumatic upholstery stapler and also a brad nailer or crown staple nailer. The electric or hand held staple guns do not have the power or the long nose to access the area to be stapled.

Du huh, when you cut the old vinyl down use is as a pattern to cut the new. That hit me after I finished. Also, make some kind of padded vertical brace to hold the vinyl up to the ceiling while roughing it into place. The vinyl is heavy and tends to sag while you are working with it. If you can hold it up a couple of feet away from where you are working, it goes easier. Use staples sparingly until you have the material like you want it, then go back and fill in with staples. My initial staples were six to eight inches apart.

Go slow when taking the trim down. Find or make some sort of LONG slim tool to gently pry the masonite away from the luan. It will pay off later if you take precautions to preserve the masonite/aluminum sandwich. The luan trim is a different story. Have at it, and just rip some new strips to staple up. By the way, take some tape and label the trim as it comes down. It will save you haveing to reassemble a jig saw puzzle later. Many of the trim pieces are close to being the same, but not exactly.

Wait till the vinyl is completely installed before cutting the holes for the halogen light pucks. It was easy to find them and use a razor to cut out the hole. I loosened the puck, cut a slightly small hole, and the material slipped right over the lip of the puck. Tighten the screws back down and you're done.

I used a really simple mount for the TV. I screwed some hardwood pieces to the BACK of the console opening with screws that did not break through the laminate. I then screwed plywood with the mounting holes to those pieces of hardwood. That made the plywood mount virtually flush with the front of the console. I was able to access the back side by removing a panel on the passenger side of the console. That's how I tightened the bolts to the TV.

MEK, methyl ethyl ketone does a super job of cleaning up contact cement.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote