Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tech Talk Archives 8
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Neweller

Q
825 11/3/2002 3:10:54 PM 11/3/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Replacing the 391 engine with a 460 In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Newell built gas powered coaches with several different engines. In addition to the 391 Ford Industrial V8, coaches were built with 460 Ford V8s, 534 Ford Industrial V8s (expect 4 to 5 mpg), as well as 440 Chrysler V8s. Allison, Ford, and Chrysler automatic transmissions were used. A repower that would upgrade from a 391 to any of the above would probably require upgrading the transmission, driveshaft, rear axle, and cooling system--major challenges with a considerable commitment of resources required. In other words, probably expensive, with the additional investment not adding much to the resale value. You might consider trading coaches to get the added power. A big jump in power and performance occurred in the late 1970s with the availability of 92 Series Detroit Diesel power.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote