Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Jake Brake Modification
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

"need the extra braking sometimes, and don't want to have to remember to flip the switch"

That is exactly why I rewired the circuit. Sometimes I wanted (needed) all the help I could get, and in a panic, I didn't want to be fumbling for the switch. On the other hand, I could not modulate the accelerator well enough to keep the jakes from coming on while interstate cruising, or worse yet, the cruise control and jakes would get into a fight on the downhills.

The circuit modification activates the jakes ANYTIME I press the brake pedal.

I didn't like the possibility of me cruising the interstate at warp factor four, running without the jakes, and topping the hill into a traffic snarl or worse. Not a situation where I would have time to hunt for the on/off switch.

The brakeswitch folks recommend a wiring circuit that uses the brake pedal to "latch" the jakes. That's great, cause with that circuit, you get the jakes coming on with the brake pedal, and staying on without the brake pedal depressed for mountain pass descending. With that setup you have to press the accelerator to get the jakes to release.

It just seemed much more intuitive to me to have the jakes come on and go off with the brake pedal. I added the bypass circuit for the rare mountain pass descent. We don't have too many of those in Tejas.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote