Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - how to properly block a newell coach
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
tuga

Twins,

I am not familiar with a 1977 Newell Classic. I have a 1999 Newell which has skid plates that are welded to the frame. There are 2 skid plates in the rear and 2 skid plates welded in the front. I have some oak blocks 6" x 6" x 24" long. I use a 20 Ton bottle jack under one skid plate and put the oak blocks stacked on the flat side under the other skid plate. Then I use a couple of 2" x 6" x 12" to shim it up a little so I have plenty of room underneath. You may also find it helpful to put a 2" x 6" under the bottle jack. Block the front and the rear of the coach.

Call Newell Coach 1-888-963-9355 and verify that this is what should be done to block a 1977 Newell. All Newells are different so you need to call them and find out exactly what you need to do to be safe.

NEVER GET UNDER A COACH UNLESS IT IS PROPERLY BLOCKED. Putting blocks under the axles will not be the right thing to do. You have to block the frame not the axles.

BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THIS BEFORE YOU GET UNDER THAT COACH!

It is a good idea to release all of the air from the air system after you block the coach just to make sure there is no more room for it to go down. If there is anything you don't understand please ask for help from someone who is familiar with Newells.

Sorry to sound paranoid about this, but I had a friend who died when his coach fell on him.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote