Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Reliability. A Step Up?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
rheavn

Dan,
I, like you have owned five motorhomes constantly since 1980. I too am a perfectionist in maintaining them & do 95% of my own work. Rather than provide you with my opinion, I'll share with you my experience. All of my motorhomes have provided me good service, but all have required maintenance & some repair.

I have owned a Harvest, Fleetwood, Holiday Rambler, Country Coach and now a Newell. All five were purchased used. The Harvest was a stick built motorhome on a truck chassis. It was the poorest quality coach I have owned, but with proper maintenance it served me well. I then bought a top of the line Fleetwood coach. Owned it for 10 years and with proper maintenance it served me well. Owned the Holiday Rambler for two years and did not have a single problem with it-just did all recommended maintenance. Purchased the Country Coach with a slide & felt like we had taken a BIG jump in quality. Did not deal with a single serious issue in 8 years of ownership, but was meticulous in its maintenance. I purchased a Newell that was only one year newer than the Country Coach to get 2 slides. The quality jump is unbelieveable! Felt like we had moved up 10 years. This coach feels like it will last forever and has many more features than my well equipped CC. Have owned the Newell for five years and provide it with meticulous maintenance. While I constantly work on my coach at home in my quest for perfection, last year I never even opened my tool box while on the road for over 12,000 miles--my best year ever!

Now you have probably noticed a common thread in my experience. All of my coaches have served me well, but all have received proper maintenance. Most people are reactionary to issues where I try to avoid them.

Quality? I have owned a full range of quality. From the poorly built Harvest to the Newell. The chassis components under the Newell are designed to last over many miles. Take a look at a twenty year old Newell & compare it to any twenty year old fiberglas coach. Also I would encourage you to go to the factory in Miami, OK and take a factory tour and see for yourself how they are built--they build them the same today as they did forty years ago. Also no other coach manufacturer offers 24/7 support like Newell does.

I hope my experience will answer some of your questions and help you in any future decision.

Steve
Newell #531