Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - I'm looking at a 76 Newell
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Neweller

Hi Chip and again welcome. It looks like you are making yourself at home here. Good deal.

This topic has been discussed a few times over the past few years, and you will find many differentiating opinions to ponder. I have had firsthand experience on a couple of occasion upgrading engines working alongside master diesel mechanics whom know one heck of a lot more than I. Besides, having been involved first hand I have also seen some other conversions on a Newell, Wanderlodge and buses. Southern Oregon diesel does this on a weekly basis as do many other shops around the country. Just some guys are so good at modifying or fabricating power plant transplants it will make some of us dizzy. Stuffing another power plant into anything is pretty much possible but at what cost one may ask? The answer may not be justifiable to many do to the outrages cost.

In the past I have mentioned to others, if you are very handy and like fabricating things or you having a means to getting it done reasonably, than why not. What really matters is that the whole idea pencils out for you. In most cases owners will never recoup near what they will have into doing these sorts of upgrades on older vintage coaches. There are guys on here who have double the $$ invested into their Newell, then what they will ever see in a return. You would be best to look at it like a hobby, and most do not pay a dividend back other than satisfaction or enjoyment. This, in most cases is all that matters.

Considering engine choices may vary depending on what year of Newell you are talking about and what existing engine you are replacing. The Cummins 555 (aka triple nickel) would be best replaced by a Cummins 903. The 903 puts out more horsepower than the 555 without a turbo and will work with your existing transmission. If you bump the power up too much or go with a much torquier engine with a different operating RPM you will need to change out the tranny. Another advantage to the Cummins 903 besides fitting right in, is that they are much more readily available. The 555 though being a good diesel engine is very hard to find parts for.

This is not a dead subject by no means, so ask away if you choose.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote