Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Series 60 Engine Problem, Major, I think
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
Richard and Rhonda

There is no update.

The coach sits, and I debate. I look at unpacked boxes in our new to us home, and wonder if I want to take on this project or throw plastic at it. I only change my mind a couple of times a day.

The pros of plastic.....quick, some sort of warranty, easy

The pros of DIY.....cheaper, much cheaper, satisfaction of DIY, probably acquire some new tools in the process (like a big a$$ torque wrench)

The cons of plastic.....two, $$$$$$$, and I am hardly ever pleased with another mechanics work

The cons of DIY........another project added to already full list, coach could sit for some time until I finish, once you pop the head you are COMMITTED, greasy hands (oh wait, that's a plus), warranty by Richard.

I know most of you don't care, or haven't done any research into this, but let me give you some ballpark figures. If it's just a blow head gasket, the parts kit is somwhere under a 1000 bucks, and the labor cost is around 4000. If we take it all the way to replace all six cylinder liners and pistons in addition to the head gasket the parts are about 5000, and the labor as high as 15000.

Decisions, decisions.............

Oh well, I'm traveling for a week, and that will give me time to read the DD manual.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote