Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Engine heat for water heater, bedroom, dash?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
fulltiming

The switch by the generator is the glow plugs to preheat the generator. Hold the switch in the down position for 30-45 seconds, then release it and start the generator. The generator preheat is typically not needed if the outside temperature is about about 45-50 degrees.

There are several arrangement for engine preheat. Mine has the electric block heater controlled by the switch on the dash marked Pre Heat. Mine does not have the Primus or Aqua-Hot system so this is the only means available to heat the block. That switch controls the top half of a 120 volt outlet in the engine compartment. The block heater is plugged into it. I use it if the outside temperature is below about 45 degrees. It should be turned on for 30 minutes to 4 hours depending on how cold it is outside prior to starting the engine.

If you have the Primus system, there is a heating loop in the Primus system that goes to the engine. I have a downloadable manual for my 1992 that you are welcome to reference that describes the operation of the Primus system (although mine doesn't have one). I didn't think Newell started using the Aqua-Hot system until 1994 (I know coach 353 had Aqua-Hot) but there could have been a few made earlier.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote