Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Bay Rust
Thread: Bay Rust
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
77newell

I don't have a lot of experience with rust but I can report on what I've experienced with my 77 coach. POR-15 and similar products, I've used the line-up from Eastwood, have not rusted through in two years more or less. If you use these products you do NOT want to remove all rust, in fact these products won't work on any areas of bare metal. To use them I removed all loose rust and then wire brushed the rest all while leaving a layer of well attached rust. I then sprayed or brushed on the rust converter/primer and finally overcoated with Eastwood's undercoating.

In the large bays with wood floors on top of rusty steel sheet (it was rusty on top due to water compartment leaks and so bay door sealing problems) I used with same process except I did not use undercoating but rather my farmer rust-proofing (used oil) and then put in a new wood floor coated with epoxy to resist any future water. On the bottom side I used the converter/primer and then installed half inch foam between the structural members.

So far I've noticed no rust-through but time will tell. I did have some rust-through when I had tried to remove all rust by blasting and using a "normal" primer. Apparently I needed to blast beyond just the appearance of clean metal.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote