Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - led mood lights
Thread: led mood lights
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
GORDON HUMMEL

Paul
I was in the Mack Trucks business for 10 years & there was always a lot of confusion on the description of steering arm/ shaft parts.
In 90% of the applications there are 3 major components.
Pitman Arm: Typically comes straight down from the steering box, up to 12" long
Drag Ling: goes from the pitman arm to the left hand steering nuckle; 8" to 20" long
Cross shaft: goes from the steering nuckle on one side to the other: 65" to 80" long

I bring this up because numerous times over the years, customers would call up & order a drag linK. When they came in to pick it up, they immediately said it was too short.

Your recent post said a drag link was ordered, but in your original post had pictures of the tie rod ends on the crosshaft.

You are also dealing in a foreign language, which could confuse things easily.

Just to clear up a point, what you were looking for were tie rod ends. Heim joints are used on purpose built race cars; thus your experience. I have been involved in racing for 35 years, & rarely have seen a tie rod except on some door slammers, but extensively used on street cars / trucks.
The only place I've scene a heim joint on a class 8 truck was a hood pivot. Heims are typically stronger for their mass, have greater angular capacity & more expensive!

Just my 2 cents

I'll be at LVMS for the USAC race on Thurs, WOO on friday, in the pits w/ KKR racing
& also for the taxi cab races on the weekend. Just look for my Newell
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote