Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Do Newell Break Down On The Road?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
Richard and Rhonda

I am going to chime in with my .02.

Labor day, one year ago, I had a semi catastrophic failure in my Series 60 engine. They are not known for failure, but I drew the short straw. I cracked a cyl liner and was bubbling the coolant. I drove it two hundred miles home. Should I have driven it? Maybe yes, maybe no. I took an educated risk based on lack of significant coolant in the oil, and I crossed my fingers for the trip home. The DD held up to the trip without complaint.

I'll let others chime in of the ability of the DD engines to limp in when a compromiised situation has developed.

Breaking down in the Newell is NOT something I worry about. Like others have said, ANY motorhome, new or used, Newell or other brand, requires periodic love and care.

What most of us appreciate about the classic Newells is that parts are mostly attainable from truck supply houses, Lowe's, or the McMaster Carr/Grainger catalogs. The problems are mostly diagnosed with a digital meter, pressure gauge, or by sight. As an engineer, and as a gear head, I appreciated the simple but elegant engineering that Newell employed. No mickey mouse engineering or execution.

One more selling point is this group of people on the forum. You will not find a more willing, knowledgable, or helpful group. The collective experience and know how is invaluable.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote