Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Compresser fan motor failed
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
GORDON HUMMEL

Default Good News...............Bad News

I installed the new motor this AM. With all the major work done, I turned it on. All worked fine!
Finished buttoning up the upper assy(front AC) & decided to turn it on to check for rattles before closing it up. After about 5 minutes & no compressor or fan coming on, I got concerned. I hadn't done anything to the upper unit other than move it out of the way for access to the lower unit.

For some reason I wiggled the 120v wire going to the junction box on the upper unit & the compressor came on. I could not hear the fan. Then I heard some arcing & quickly pulled the power cord.

Opened up the junction box & the neutral wire was fried. looked further & the wire nut spring was still on the 10 Ga wire, the plastic cover was melted & the neutral wire going to the compressor/fan motor was melted. I also noticed the strain relief was loose where the house wire entered the junction box. I'm guess with all the moving around I did, a poor connection was made worse. I also noticed the wire nut on the black wires was not tight.

I ran new wire, fixes all the connections, but still no fan motor. I suspect the cap is ok as the compressor started, so I guess I fried the fan motor ?

Any suggestions
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote