Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Generator White Smoke
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
RussWhite

Default Generator White Smoke

The attached picture should show the white smoke I am getting when I run the generator. I do not boondock, so the only real exercise it gets is on trips and a monthly or so run for a half hour to make sure it starts and works okay. I must admit I have not paid much attention to the smoke as each time it starts easily and seems smooth and does its job. But, I am concerned that this much white smoke is not normal. The smoke does not seem to get any less as time passes. The generator reaches an indicated water temperature of about 175 and oil pressure is around 60.

I'm not too familiar with diesels, but was under the impression that they are an excess air engine and should basically combust all the fuel injected in each cylinder if the cylinder is healthy. I thought I would try and get an exhaust temperature for each of the cylinders at the exhaust manifold with my infrared temperature gun, but there was too much insulation wrapped in the area to do that. So I have this uneasy feeling something is not right, but no idea what to do about it.

All thoughts and ideas will be appreciated. Russ
Attached Images

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote