Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - "Stupid" Generator Question
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #27
Wally Arntzen

Tom, quite an interesting story on fuel contamination issues.
After going through two and a half years clearing up a fungas problem my thoughts are as follows.
After the problem was discovered by my friend and we began the process of cleaning the tank with additives and this mechanic friend is totally against putting additives in oil or fuel of deisel engines for enhancement of preformance, however, he said we can clean the tanks or replace them to correct the problem.
I have spoken to many friends who have yachts and large boats, numerous over the truckers and several bus company owners and all of them said that they never have any fungas problems with boats or vehicles with the exception of the ones that sit for long periods of time without use.
I know people who have large boats that may take them for short trips sometimes at two year intervals. The truck and bus people said that they have excess vehicles that sit for long periods because of a lack of buisness (like now with the downturn in the economy) and when they put them back in service after sitting for a year or more the come with the dreaded fungas problem.
Some have tried the fuel polishing solution, but most I talk to say that it is not necessarly the fuel that is the problem it is the fungas growing on the sides and bottom of the tank that is the issue.
The filters in our coaches, large boats and over the road trucks are more that adequeate to clean the fuel and allow the vehicles to preform well but if the tanks get poluted and damage the fuel it is the cause of the problems.
Hence, I beleive that cleaning the fuel and tank with the proper additives is the solution to the problem. After the lengthy period of cleaning that I did I am confident that my coach is now as close to fungs free that I can get it and I will continue to put the additive in as needed to keep it that way.
A lot of our members are purchasing coaches that have sat for long periods of time and I suspect that most of them are potential victims of this problem.
So I believe cleaning the tank and getting rid of the bad fuel is a better solution that polishing the fuel.

That is the fat guy's opinion and I'm sticking with it.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote