Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Best option for upgrading inverter?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
fulltiming

Jimmy, your issue sounds like a dead battery charger or no electric power to the battery charger's outlet. If you are pleased with your existing inverter, you can replace your battery boiler with a new multistage battery charger and install it in the same location as your existing charger (likely in the bay). Unless your system has been changed out or modified since it was built, your battery charger is plugged into an outlet in the bay with the power cord and transfer switch. First make sure that the outlet it is plugged into has power. If the outlet has 120 volts and the charger is still not producing any voltage, you will need to either replace the charger with a good multi-stage charger or replace the inverter and charger with a combination unit.

I upgraded my inverter and separate battery boiler (er, charger) to a ProSine for 3 reasons: 1) I didn't want to destroy my AGM batteries, 2) I wanted more inverter power as the original inverter was only 1200 watts and would not run the microwave with the power already being consumed by the TV's, etc, and 3) I wanted to make sure that my electronic equipment had the cleanest power available.

In the change over, I had to rewire my inverter system to take advantage of the new inverter/chargers built-in transfer switch. This presented both a challenge and dilemma. The new inverter allows all of the circuits that are wired through the inverter to switch over to the batteries immediately without having to manually turn the various circuits on from the switches located around the coach. However, as the unit does run all the time now, it creates more heat in the bedroom than previously. I did have to increase the size of the wiring and add a separate electrical sub-panel but the results were worthwhile. My only regret is the added heat from the new unit. I would not have had adequate room to install the 2kw ProSine in the bay where the power cord and the old battery charger was located. By installing the ProSine in the location of the existing inverter, I was able to leave the old battery charger in place and just unplug it. It is available should I ever need to use it to bring back badly discharged batteries or should the battery charger section of the ProSine fail. You do have some fan noise under the bed that did not exist previously unless you were actually running on battery power.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote