Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Axle replacement info needed.
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
James Tuckness

Your original owner probably used the tube to fill the brake fluid. Systems in that era would often used fluid and you needed to check and top off fluid leval like you do your oil. Newell, would usually use a vehicle chasie that was ordered from Ford or Dodge. The original system in good repair will give good service. Parts are available through a heavy truck brake company or even through Oreilly auto parts. Oreilly being best first source. Some times they have to be ordered, I had to wait as 6 weeks for my rear wheel cylinders, Kelsey Hayse were common for heavy truck system. Changes to systems are often difficult to do and expensive. Your system is diffrent than mine if it has 2 master cylinders and hydravac units. This will give you a 2 zone break system. This is what modern cars have so you only loose front or rear breaks in event of failure. School busses also had this type of system. Newell built for safety and performance and will be hard to better. My system had a zoned system throught the Mico Air over hydraulic system that devides my system into 2 zones. The original dual wheel brake actuator was no longer made by Mico however they built actuators to match my vehicle weight and air pressure. I constructed mounts for them and plumbed into front and rear zones. Two weeks after replacment of system the only thing I did not replace, hydraulic stop light switch failed. System lost all breaking from foot pedal as we were slowing to stop light , about 45 mph with traffic in front already stoped. The $1,100 for the new Mico parts paid off then as we were easly able to stop with the back up air over hydraulic system. Good brakes are a pleasure.

James
James Tuckness is offline   Reply With Quote