Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Air leaks in my 1987.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Wally Arntzen

Jennifer, my 88 is probably is a duplicate of yours as far as the air system goes. When I got my coach the leaking was terrible so don,t think you can't fix it. I found leaks in the welds of two of my large tanks and the small tank for the toilet, check valves and air switches not working or leaking.
After spending days with a friend of mine who runs a bus repair facility we agreed to bite the bullet and just do it all.
I replaced the three tanks which I got from Newell, check valves on all tanks and the 110 air pump, air switches for the wipers, generator access door, step cover and both windshield wiper motors which air operated in my coach. I changed the flush handle on the toilet which is air operated and replaced the air preasure control valves at the toilet, tag axel and 110 generator.
We did not fine one leak in an air line. All of the problems were tanks, valves and switches.

At this time my wife and I are fulltimers and live in the coach. My air pump goes on an average of 2 times in 24 hours with the two of using everything without restricting our usage.

I have been advised that the biggest contributer to our problems with the older coaches is that we do not drain the air out of our tanks enough and the moisture contaminates the valves and switches which causes them to fail over time.

I may be a little wierd but I change things just because they are old and may go bad. I do not like to just let go untill something fails and then fix it. And even being a maintanice maniac I still have problems that need attention but they are few and far between.

These coaches are just like little kids they need a lot of attention it if they get it they very comfortable and kind to us.
Good luck, Wally
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote