Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Shorted Running/Clearance Lights
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
Ron and Susan

Default Shorted Running/Clearance Lights

I just installed rear and side cameras (thanks to Tom for pictures and assistance) and decided to check all electrical circuits.

I found that the 20 amp fuse for the running lights was blown. The last time I checked the running lights was almost a year ago.

I measured about 0.2 ohms to ground for the circuit and then removed the large gausge white wire that disappeared behind the fuse panel and found that the wiring from the fuse through the running light switch and back to the terminal block (located under dash on passenger right side was not shorted). Only the large gauge wire going behind fuse panel was shorted.

I removed several of the running lights and found no physical problom. However I did measure about 1.2 ohms from the 12 volt terminal of the lamp to the external skin where most lamps are connected for a ground.
12 volts at about 1.2 ohms would be about 10 amps and does not indicate a short.

I suspect the short is behind the fuse panel or where the wire passes through a bulkhead.

Does any one have nay thoughts ??

Frustrated electronics engineer
Ron Gookin
1988 Newell 40 ft tag axle #179
No DDEC 8V92 545 HP (100 Injectors) HT740
2005 Jeep Liberty Toad

PHOTO ALBUM: https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=33
Ron and Susan is offline   Reply With Quote