Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Winter travel
Thread: Winter travel
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Wally Arntzen

I have traveled in cold weather often. At night I still stay at wallmarts and run the generator all night long and turn the engine heater on when we go to sleep. The same if plugged in to a power source. 15 amps will not be enough to run your engine heater or any of the electric heaters in the coach. I don't know what capacity you have with generator so I'm not sure what you can run with it on. I can run everything with mine and I always have my hot water heater on, the engine heater on, and all of the electric heaters on. Depending on the temperatures. I slept in the coach at 20 below and had all of the electric heaters and all of the LP heaters on and slept in my underwear very comfortbably.
We took showers with no freezing up of anything. I have a temp sensor in my water bay so I know how much heat I have to put in the compartment to keep it warm.
When traveling in the cold weather make sure you check or replace the fuel filter on your generator because that is the main potential problem that could shut e'r down and leave you in the cold.
I'm assuming that you know that the engine will not start at temperatures below 40 degrees, but I can assure you that it starts right away with the engine heater on. My generator has a preheat switch on it which heats the fuel before it enters the engine and mine has started with no problem in the 20 below temps I mentioned above. It also makes a difference with the multi weight oil we can use in the generators.
Happy travels and stay warm
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote