Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Series 60 Engine Problem, Major, I think
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #90
Richard and Rhonda

Well, doo doo.

I went to take the coach for a drive today. While it was warming, something changed in the way the engine was running. It also started blowing blue smoke while idling.

After getting it unstuck from the snow, I took it for a short drive. No power, but lots of smoke. Yuck.

So I put in back in the parking space.

I think I lost the turbo. Here is why. I noticed oil in the downstream side of the intake air hose on the turbo. That's not supposed to be there. The only way that happens is if the seal is going on the turbo. I told Rhonda it was a matter of time before the turbo would need replacing. I saw the oil in the discharge and also the impeller had a few dings in it. The coolant in the oil might have been very bad for the turbo bearings. I guess that was a short time.

The fact that the engine ran good for a while and then died also points to the turbo.

I was low on engine oil when I got back from my little drive, another sign the turbo seal is gone.

I'll pull off the intake and check it when the holiday hooplah is finished. For now it's time to go see family. I will also bar the engine over and make sure there are no "rough" places to explain the problem.

All guages were good, except very little boost and lots of blue smoke.

Diagnosis to follow.

Doo doo.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote