Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Best option for upgrading inverter?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
fulltiming

Jimmy, sounds like you have several different problems you are facing.

Inverter:
Depending on the model of your inverter/charger, it could still be a single rate charger rather than a multiple stage charger, however the remote panel setting indicate that it is likely at least a two stage charger.

Since you say you can not turn the inverter off, I presume that you mean that with the switch in the OFF position, the plugs fed by the inverter are still live. If you haven't confirmed that try it first as there should be a way to turn the inverter off. Otherwise, when you are not plugged into shorepower and do not have the generator running, anything plugged into the circuits that are fed by the inverter will continue to suck power from the batteries. I would presume that ON is charging and inverting, OFF is inverter and charger off, and Slow Charge is inverter off and charger in maintenance mode (low) setting.

I would first check to see if the remote panel is actually controlling the inverter. It is possible that the wiring to the remote panel is defective. The Heart/Xantrex remote panels I have seen/used all allowed the inverter to be turned off completely. If there are some high wattage items attached to the inverter powered outlets and the inverter is not shutting down, the batteries will drain down quickly. The ice maker in particular could drain your batteries in a couple of days even with four 8-D batteries.

Refrigerator:
Assuming that your coach has not been rewired so that the RV style refrigerator runs through the inverter, either the gas is turned off to the refrigerator, the orfice is dirty and not allowing the gas burner to light, the control board is bad, or the electronic igniter is bad (listed in order of probability).

Batteries:
Lastly, you need to verify that the charger section of the inverter/charger is working properly. If the voltage at the coach batteries goes up to 13.6-14.2 when the charger is on and the coach plugged into AC, I would verify that your coach batteries are still holding a charge. To do this, charge them fully either by driving the coach and letting them charge off the engine or by running generator and letting them charge off the generator's alternator or by using a good multi-stage battery charger, then disconnecting the main leads to the coach from the battery bank and check the voltage. It should be around 12.8 to 13.2 volts. Let the batteries sit for several days disconnected then check the voltage again. There should be very little voltage drop. If the voltage has dropped below 12.4 you likely have at least one battery that is failing.

Make sure that the dash battery merge switch is in the center (OFF) position. Otherwise any draw in the coach will pull down both the coach batteries and the chassis batteries. In either the up or the down position, the two battery banks will be tied together. This allows you to charge the chassis batteries from the inverter/charger when plugged in but should always be turned off when the coach is not plugged in.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote